Sunday, February 25, 2007

Reno 911!: Miami Review

Reno 911!: Miami may lack character progression, a central theme, or a plot, but it's one damn fun movie.

Every so often a flick roles around and drags me into the silly little world it creates and fills me with tingles of laughter until I burst. Movies that don't contain much substance other than jokes, cameos, and the occasional plot point that feels like it was thrown into the script during that day of shooting. Reno 911!: Miami fits this description and for a film with almost no direction I can say that I sure as hell enjoyed it.

Before I start this review let me say this: If you can't bear to watch the Reno 911! TV show than this isn't the right film for you. While the feature film may have a few differences from the Comedy Central show it is still the same thing at heart; if you despise it I recommend steering clear. Now, not having seen the show going into the theatre doesn't hurt your viewing experience, so don't worry if you haven't even heard of the makeshift cops from Reno county.

The movie centres on eight clumsy, stupid, and problematic deputies who are called into Miami for the annual Police Convention. They are denied entry into the event but find out that a terrorist has deployed poisonous chemicals into the convention centre and they are the only remaining cops in Miami able to hunt him down. Now, that's about all we get in the way of plot, but don't fret, this isn't the type of movie bent on substance. Instead of a strong, driven narrative we are shown small snippets of encounters and situations that the Reno team must work through during their stay in Miami.



For example, we see two deputies try and manage a drunk citizen who wishes to fight the alligator residing in his neighbour's pool. We also find the whole squad in a predicament as they try and remove a beached whale from a nude beach. The film is made up of these small and hilarious moments of irony and stupidity and they work. It's the areas where the movie tries to progress the plot that fall short.

One problem I did have with the movie though was the lack of a documentary feel. The Reno 911! show is shot as a mockumentary and while some sections of the film utilize that style I feel as if it could have been implemented a bit more. I also wish that there were a few more sketches thrown into the mix to conjure a few more laughs from the audience, but maybe that's just the fan in me screaming for an encore.

If you're looking for a lighthearted film with quick laughs and cheap humour then go check out Reno 911!: Miami. I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll forget everything that made it great in a month or two and probably never see it again, but I can say I had a good time seeing it in theatres. It may just be my love for the characters or my appreciation of the TV show but I found Reno to be a hilarious ride.

What did you think of Twentieth Century Fox's Reno 911!: Miami? Post a comment and let me know.

Cheers.

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: