Sunday, February 11, 2007

FILM: David Koepp to Pen Spider-Man 4

Writer of Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, and War of the Worlds, among others, to write the next Spider-Man flick.

David Koepp is one of those writers who's always in the Hollywood spotlight and seems to usually have some sort of input into the years' top blockbusters. He's worked with powerhouse directors to the likes of Steven Spielberg, Brian De Palma, Ron Howard, and David Fincher as well as directing some feature films himself such as Secret Window and The Trigger Effect I think he should stick to writing, but that's my opinion. Koepp also recently finished writing the script for Indiana Jones 4.

Koepp hasn't signed a contract for the fourth film as of yet, but Columbia is pursuing the project and has confirmed that he will write the screenplay for the film. Koepp co-wrote Spider-Man, but wasn't involved the second film or the third installment which hits theatres in May.

I'm not sure this is a good choice for the franchise. All of Koepp's great films have had other writers working on the screenplay alongside him. Most of the projects he attempts alone are nowhere near as good as the projects he works on with other people. Also, he's one of those writers who just abuses the one-liner to death. Watch a movie like Jurassic Park, Spider-Man, or Mission: Impossible and count the amount of quips, it's astounding.



Koepp also usually keeps the films he writes fairly light-hearted. This is fine and dandy for the average blockbuster but he may be brining Spider-Man away from the dark world he is in now. Since Koepp left the production of Spider-Man 2 the franchise has been getting darker and has started taking itself serious. The last thing I want for a fourth film is it to go back to the quick quips and cheesy dialogue found in the first Spider-Man film. I think that Koepp coming back to write the fourth might also be a hint that Raimi won't be returning to direct the picture, but that's just speculation on my part.

What do you think about David Koepp writing the fourth Spider-Man flick? Is it a good thing of is the film doomed? Post a comment.

Cheers.

 Subscribe in a reader

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh NO! They can't let this happen! I've been a Spiderman fan since...since I was a little girl! I watched it, read it, and ate it for breakfast...it wasn't meant to be light and fluffy! What are they trying to do?!

Larry_Chimp_Man said...

Exactly my thoughts aswell. Sure, Spider-Man can be a funny and light-hearted character, but the current franchise has gotten darker than that and I'd love for it to stay that way. Plus I'm not a very big Koepp fan, but that's just my opinion.

Dorothy said...

It's not fair. I know my friends and I have looked forward to seeing a different side of Spiderman since....since the CARTOON. They're going to lose so much money...it's not even funny. I pity them and their crappy decision....*grumbles*